Smarter Than a Monster: A Survival Guideby: Brandon Mull
Little kids have big fears, which they often imagine to be scary creatures, like monsters. In the new picture book, Smarter Than a Monster, New York Times best-selling author Brandon Mull uses humor and a fantastical imagination to uncover the truth about monsters while guiding young readers to good habits that can last a lifetime.
Paired with whimsical monster illustrations, Mull’s text explains how knowing “Monster Facts” can help kids outwit them. Want to avoid monsters? Fact: Monsters love dirt and grime, so when faced with two kids, the monster will choose the dirty one every time. And if toys and clothes are all over the floor, you may get ambushed by a mess-loving monster. Survival Tip: Take baths and keep your room clean.
Outsmarting a monster is easy when kids learn secret monster strategies, like why it’s better to sleep in their own bed when they feel afraid. Fact: Monsters are clever predators who hide under parents’ beds where nobody ever thinks to check. Moreover, monsters leave kids alone when they are in their own beds.
There is, of course, a time when being with monsters can be perfectly safe: Halloween. Dressing up like a monster is a good form of camouflage. Monsters think Halloween is a big parade in their honor, so mix it up with the monsters and enjoy the day!
From playtime to bedtime, Brandon Mull will arm young readers with practical advice in this innovative and imaginative parenting tool that teaches common sense and positive and healthy habits.
- An illustrated children’s picture book that uses humor as it teaches kids the “truth about monsters” to motivate and guide them to positive and healthy habits, like keeping a clean room, maintaining good dental hygiene, taking regular baths, and limiting time playing video games.
- Brandon Mull is the #1 New York Times best-selling author of Dragonwatch and Fablehaven. This is illustrator Mike Walton’s debut children’s book.
- Kids and their parents can visit BrandonMull.com and take the “Smarter than a Monster Quiz” where they can answer key questions about habits of personal hygiene and living a healthy life-style. Upon passing, the child will receive a congratulatory eNote from the authors, an above-average chance of surviving to be a teenager, and the opportunity to download a printable certificate, “I Am Smarter Than a Monster!”
- Includes kid-friendly advice and an endorsement of the book by Seth Sorenson, fictional character from Brandon Mull’s Fablehaven series.
- Some lessons:
- Monsters fear librarians because books have power and the more kids read and learn the better they’ll be able to outsmart and defeat monsters.
- Don’t be afraid monsters are hiding in closets or under beds. Any monster hiding in such an obvious place is a very pathetic creature.
- Frightened kids shouldn’t try to sleep in their parents’ bed; clever monsters look there first and usually monsters leave kids alone when they are in their own bed.
- Monsters like dirt and grime; if a monster could choose between two kids, they will usually eat the filthy one.
- Some kids are afraid of clowns and a lot of monsters dress up like clowns. How can you tell the difference? Environment! If you see a clown at a circus you are probably safe, but if you see a clown in the woods, RUN!
Publisher: Shadow Mountain
Publish Date: 2019
Page Count: 32