Shadow Mountain Submission Guidelines
Publishing at Shadow Mountain
Shadow Mountain Publishing is passionate about clean content and empowering values. We publish general fiction and nonfiction for all ages.
We are currently looking for
- empathy-building, contemporary middle grade novels
- middle grade fantasy
- clean romance
- women’s fiction
- YA fiction
- historical fiction
- historical nonfiction
- inspirational nonfiction
- religious content for non-denominal audience
We are NOT interested in the following genres: business and finance, family histories/personal journals, or poetry.
Our Ensign Peak imprint specializes in books that are religious in nature but are intended for a general, nondenominational audience. Please submit manuscripts intended for this imprint through Shadow Mountain.
Submitting Your Manuscript
Please submit your query letter, a one-page synopsis, and a full manuscript online at https://shadowmountain.com/submit-your-manuscript/, or click on the link at the bottom of the guidelines. We will no longer review submissions sent to us by mail or e-mail. Hard-copy manuscripts will be returned unopened. Please send any specific questions not answered below to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Query letters should include:
- Information about your manuscript, including the title, genre, intended audience, total word count, and a compelling 2–3 sentence blurb describing your manuscript.
- A brief explanation about why this book is different from others in its genre.
- Your contact information and background in relation to your book.
- Your current or future marketing plans.
2. Manuscripts should be
- Formatted with double-spacing, 12-point Times New Roman, and one-inch margins.
Saved as a Word document or PDF file.
- Clean of offensive material, including profanity, vulgarity, excessive violence, or sexually explicit or suggestive scenes.
- For nonfiction books, include complete documentation with full publishing information for all sources quotes, such as a bibliography. (See Copyright Permissions)
- For children’s picture books, submit all the text in a double-spaced format or in a single-spaced format with double spaces between paragraphs. It is not necessary to have completed illustrations prior to submission. If your manuscript is accepted for publication, we will hire an illustrator for your book. If desired, sample sketches or word descriptions are acceptable. (Example: [A mother and child by the beach.])
- For self-published books, submit the original manuscript in a Word document or the final printed book as a PDF. Make sure you have retained copyright before submitting.
4. General guidelines:
- Do not submit manuscripts by mail, by e-mail, or in person. Manuscripts submitted through these networks will not be reviewed.
- Do not send duplicate manuscripts to Shadow Mountain or Ensign Peak. All online manuscripts submissions go through the same channels, and duplicates will be discarded.
- Please allow twelve weeks for a response on your manuscript.
Copyright Permissions & Protection
It is your responsibility to clear the use of all text and quotations under copyright, including lengthy prose quotations (more than a few lines) and all lyrics and poems. Please note the following requirements:
- Include complete publishing information for all quoted material.
- Keep a copy of the original sources, such as photocopies of the title page and copyright page of any books from which you are quoting. We may require this information if your manuscript is accepted for publication.
- Do not use published poetry or song lyrics. It can be difficult to find copyright holders to secure permissions, and heavy fees are usually charged.
- Acquire permissions from sources or people comprised in stories, including those who have had their names changed. If a person can identify themselves or their experience in your work, then you probably need their permission to use their story.
- Review the FAQ of the Copyright Office at the Library of Congress (http://www.loc.gov/copyright/) for specific copyright questions.
After the Review
After the acquisitions and publishing teams have reviewed your manuscript, they may (1) accept it for publication, (2) invite you to revise and resubmit it, or (3) reject it. If you are asked to revise your manuscript, please do not be offended. This is actually a positive response, indicating that your manuscript has excellent potential for publication.
Many factors must be taken into account in deciding which manuscripts are accepted for publication, and rejection does not necessarily mean that the manuscript is not publishable—only that it is not right for Shadow Mountain at this time. Our resources—financing, time, and staff—are limited, and we can only accept a limited number of manuscripts and genres from the many submitted to us. In general, we do not have the time to provide a detailed critique or evaluation of manuscripts.
Publishing Production and Marketing
We only discuss details regarding contracts, royalties, production processes, and marketing plans after a manuscript has been accepted for possible publication. Please note that in today’s publishing environment authors are required to be heavily involved in the promotion of their books through social media and public appearances.
Thank you for your interest in publishing with Shadow Mountain. We will be in touch once we’ve had a chance to thoroughly evaluate your manuscript. Please allow twelve weeks for our response.
To submit a manuscript now, click HERE
Shadow Mountain and Ensign Peak are registered trademarks of Deseret Book Company, which is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
These guidelines are for informational purposes only and are in no way legally binding.